Last updated on August 25th, 2023.
What is E-E-A-T or Double-E-A-T?
E-E-A-T stands for “Experience, Expertise, Authoritativeness, and Trustworthiness”. The E-E-A-T concept is extensively described in Google’s Search Quality Rater Guideline. This guideline helps Search Quality Raters evaluate the quality of content on websites. Search quality raters are people who evaluate websites manually.
Google considers Trust the most important member of the E-E-A-T set. Trust means that a page is accurate, honest, safe, and reliable.
E-E-A-T is particularly important for sites that provide information related to health, safety, or financial well-being. Because those topics have a significant impact on people’s lives. This niche is also called YMYL (“Your Money or Your Life).
Examples of YMYL topics include:
- Health: Websites that provide information on medical conditions, treatments, and health advice.
- Finance: Websites that offer financial advice, investment strategies, and information on banking and loans.
- Safety: Websites that provide information on safety procedures, emergency preparedness, and consumer safety.
In its quality rater guidelines, Google explains it all in detail. The document serves as a guideline for the 10,000 human quality raters. Reading it helps to understand the E-E-A-T concept.
Is E-E-A-T Also Important for Websites Outside of YMYL Niche?
In its search rater guidelines, Google explains how to rate a wide range of website types. This includes shopping pages, news pages, forum pages, video pages, etc. (source: quality rater guidelines, page 10)
Judging from this, expertise matters in all topics. However, while YMYL websites are held to a higher E-E-A-T standard I assume that websites about leisure activities are subject to a lower standard in E-E-A-T analysis.
How to Improve E-E-A-T?
- Provide helpful content: Your website’s content should be well-researched, in-depth, and provide value to your audience. Google looks at the human effort someone put into the content. They encourage you to offer unique, original content that is not available on other websites (source: quality rater guidelines, page 21)
- Show that you’re an expert. It should be clear “Who” created the content. Demonstrate expertise and authority. Showcase the expertise of your authors through author bios, credentials, and external sources that vouch for their expertise. This will help establish your website as an authoritative source of information in your niche.
- Build a strong reputation: Engage with your audience through social media and encourage positive reviews and ratings. This will help establish your website as a trustworthy source of information in your niche.
- Build quality backlinks: Quality backlinks from other authoritative websites can further establish your website’s authority and credibility in search engine results from pages. Reach out to other websites in your niche and build relationships that can lead to backlinks.
- Have independent reviews, references, and recommendations about you. News articles, Wikipedia articles, blog posts, and forum discussions can all be great sources of reputation information ( source: quality rater guidelines, page 22)
Google uses a variety of signals as a proxy to tell if the content seems to match E-E-A-T as humans would assess it.
Do Ads Harm E-E-A-T?
Google states in its search quality guidelines, on page 20 that ads do not harm E-E-A-T.
How to Measure E-E-A-T? Aka, What Is the Result of Successful E-E-A-T?
Unfortunately, there is no specific score to measure to E-E-A-T.
A result of successful E-E-A-T is increased trust and credibility with both users and search engines, leading to higher search engine rankings and increased organic traffic. Improving E-E-A-T is a process that takes time to see tangible results.
Do Bing and Yandex Know the E-E-A-T Concept Too?
Bing’s equivalent of E-E-A-T is known as QC, which stands for quality and credibility.
Yandex, the Russian search engine, does not have an exact equivalent of E-A-T. Nevertheless, with their recent data leak, we’ve seen their they consider criteria, such as content quality, reputation, and social signals.
Also, Yandex has specific factors for medical, legal, and financial topics.
How Does Chat GPT Influence E-E-A-T?
Artificial intelligence language models such as Chat GPT can help you to create informative content. As mentioned earlier, whenever you take advantage of that, you should mention it to the user.
This article was ideated with the help of AI.