Last updated on August 25th, 2023.
The other day I was building my Looker Studio dashboard to observe SEO progress.
As part of it, I wanted a table to show the pages with the most organic traffic. Intuitively, I headed over to apply a segment for organic traffic. But, then, wait, what? I wasn’t able to find the segments on Looker Studio.
Thanks to Mehdi Oudjida, I learned that there are no segments in Looker Studio.
Therefore I was looking into workarounds and found my blessing in filters.
That’s how I did it:
Filter for session medium Equal to (=) organic in Google Looker Studio (former Google Data Studio)
1. In your Looker Studio add a new table by clicking Add a chart > Table
2. Click on the table and then Setup on the right.
3. Configure the table with the dimension and metric you’d like to see. I chose
path as dimension and
Active users as metric.
A note on
Conversion in this report: I’m combining it with the dimension Page path and not Landing page. Sadly the Landing page dimension is not yet rolled-out to Looker Studio.
This means, the report will show the conversions, that happened on the specific page.
The page is not necessarily the first page in the session.
4. Scroll down to the filter section (second last).
5. Click Add a filter.
6. Click Create a filter
7. Add a descriptive Name to the filter. I chose Session medium = organic
8. Set the filter as follows
session medium Equal to (=) organic
10. Click on Save and you get your filtered data.
Hope it helps. In case of questions, send me a message! And again, thanks to Mehdi for his contribution on Twitter.
May I invite you to subscribe to my newsletter? You will receive the odd email every other month and I will never spam. Promised!